- The earliest footprints left by an animal on Earth, dating back some 541 million years, have been uncovered in China
- The footprints were found in Yangtze Gorges area of South China and dates back to the Ediacaran Period
An international team of researchers are claiming to have discovered the world’s oldest footprints.
Animal footprints that are 550 million years old were reportedly discovered in China. The prints were claimed to have been made by an unknown sea creature that was undoubtedly very strange.
It is unclear what kind of tiny creature left the tracks, which lie just a few millimeters apart and looked like two rows of shallow depressions, or holes, marked in the dark grey limestone.
“This is considered the earliest animal fossil footprint record,” said the report in the US journal, Science Advances.
The footprints were found in Yangtze Gorges area of South China, and dates back to the Ediacaran Period, sometimes called the Vendian Period, and fossils found during this period are exceptionally rare. The few animals that lived during this bygone era, between 635 million and 541 million years ago, were exclusively soft shelled, featuring no bones, teeth, or hard shells.
“The rock that contains the fossil has been very well dated between 551 and 541 million years old,” a study author, Zhe Chen, a researcher at the Chinese Academy of Sciences said.
“Previously identified footprints are between 540 and 530 million years old. The new fossils are probably up to 10 million years older.”
Unfortunately for scientists, the creature that made the footprints did not die nearby and leave an equally well preserved fossil to be studied.
That leaves a mystery about what kind of animal left the tracks.
- Payo ni Dok sa mga taong hirap sa paghinga, agad magpa-check up - March 13, 2019
- Artist who created ‘Momo’ says he has destroyed the doll - March 7, 2019
- Second HIV patient cleared of AIDS-causing virus – Reports - March 7, 2019
- Tatlo pang pinaghihinalaang nangunguha ng mga bata, iniimbestigahan - March 5, 2019
- Arestadong kidnapping suspect umaming mahigit 20 bata ang nadukot nila simula Oktubre 2018 - February 25, 2019
- Buong pamilyang Pinoy nasawi sa malagim na car accident sa California - February 25, 2019
- Karamihan sa mga Pinoy naniniwalang bumaba ang bilang ng mga drug users – SWS survey - February 20, 2019
- Lalaking walang braso gumawa ng prosthetic robotic arm gamit ang mga Lego bricks - February 13, 2019
- Pope Francis, inamin ang sekswal na pang-aabuso ng mga pari at obispo sa mga madre - February 13, 2019
- “I have put everything in God’s hands”: Miss Universe 1993 Dayanara Torres shares her skin cancer journey - February 7, 2019