- “Welcome to the Philippines, Province of China” banners were seen hanging on several Metro Manila footbridges
- The banners sparked outrage from netizens who asked that the tarpaulins be removed from the footbridges
- Permanent Court of Arbitration favored the Philippines in its case against China on July 12, 2016
Two years after the Philippines won its arbitration case against China, red banners bearing the words “Welcome to the Philippines, Province of China” were seen hanging on several footbridges in Metro Manila, as per a number of posts on social media.
The banners sparked outrage from netizens who asked that the tarpaulins be removed from the footbridges.
ANC has reported that the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) have already taken the banners down.
The banners were reportedly referenced to a “joke” from President Rodrigo Duterte who said the Philippines could be a province of China to Chinese-Filipino business leaders earlier this year.
“He (Xi Jinping) is a man of honor. They can even make us ‘Philippines, province of China’, we will even avail of services for free. If China were a woman, I’d woo her.”
It is still unclear who put up the banners as no one/group has claimed responsibility over the act.
To note, the Permanent Court of Arbitration ruled in favor of the Philippines in its arbitration case against China over the South China Sea on July 12, 2016.
- Palparan sentenced with ‘reclusion perpetua’ over disappearance of 2 UP students - September 17, 2018
- Solaric Leads Solar Panel Installation in the Philippines - September 14, 2018
- Court defers ruling on Trillanes’ arrest warrant - September 13, 2018
- PAGASA: ‘Ompong’ may become supertyphoon before making landfall; threatens Northern Luzon - September 13, 2018
- Maguindanao towns get more power from electrification - September 10, 2018
- Makati court sets hearing on Trillanes’ arrest warrant on September 13 - September 6, 2018
- Dingdong to run for public office in 2019, says Marian - September 6, 2018
- PCOO reprimands Mocha Uson with memo over ‘pederalismo’ video - September 6, 2018
- Press Release: Groups slam DENR for continued permit issuance and approval of coal projects - September 6, 2018
- DOST pushes for the creation of a Philippine Space Agency - September 5, 2018