- “Welcome to the Philippines, Province of China” banners were seen hanging on several Metro Manila footbridges
- The banners sparked outrage from netizens who asked that the tarpaulins be removed from the footbridges
- Permanent Court of Arbitration favored the Philippines in its case against China on July 12, 2016
Two years after the Philippines won its arbitration case against China, red banners bearing the words “Welcome to the Philippines, Province of China” were seen hanging on several footbridges in Metro Manila, as per a number of posts on social media.
The banners sparked outrage from netizens who asked that the tarpaulins be removed from the footbridges.
ANC has reported that the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) have already taken the banners down.
The banners were reportedly referenced to a “joke” from President Rodrigo Duterte who said the Philippines could be a province of China to Chinese-Filipino business leaders earlier this year.
“He (Xi Jinping) is a man of honor. They can even make us ‘Philippines, province of China’, we will even avail of services for free. If China were a woman, I’d woo her.”
It is still unclear who put up the banners as no one/group has claimed responsibility over the act.
To note, the Permanent Court of Arbitration ruled in favor of the Philippines in its arbitration case against China over the South China Sea on July 12, 2016.
- Karamihan sa mga Pinoy naniniwalang bumaba ang bilang ng mga drug users – SWS survey - February 20, 2019
- Lalaking walang braso gumawa ng prosthetic robotic arm gamit ang mga Lego bricks - February 13, 2019
- Pope Francis, inamin ang sekswal na pang-aabuso ng mga pari at obispo sa mga madre - February 13, 2019
- “I have put everything in God’s hands”: Miss Universe 1993 Dayanara Torres shares her skin cancer journey - February 7, 2019
- KC Concepcion gifts her childhood nanny a brand new house - November 5, 2018
- KathNiel’s ‘The Hows of Us’ sets record with P35M box-office opening gross - October 31, 2018
- Gilas turns attention to FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers after ASIAN Games - October 31, 2018
- Palace denies Duterte brought 400-man delegation to Israel - October 31, 2018
- No Senate run for PAO chief Persida Acosta in 2019 - October 31, 2018
- NFA OKs immediate importation of 133,5000 MT of rice for Zambasutla - October 31, 2018