- “Welcome to the Philippines, Province of China” banners were seen hanging on several Metro Manila footbridges
- The banners sparked outrage from netizens who asked that the tarpaulins be removed from the footbridges
- Permanent Court of Arbitration favored the Philippines in its case against China on July 12, 2016
Two years after the Philippines won its arbitration case against China, red banners bearing the words “Welcome to the Philippines, Province of China” were seen hanging on several footbridges in Metro Manila, as per a number of posts on social media.
The banners sparked outrage from netizens who asked that the tarpaulins be removed from the footbridges.
ANC has reported that the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) have already taken the banners down.
The banners were reportedly referenced to a “joke” from President Rodrigo Duterte who said the Philippines could be a province of China to Chinese-Filipino business leaders earlier this year.
“He (Xi Jinping) is a man of honor. They can even make us ‘Philippines, province of China’, we will even avail of services for free. If China were a woman, I’d woo her.”
It is still unclear who put up the banners as no one/group has claimed responsibility over the act.
To note, the Permanent Court of Arbitration ruled in favor of the Philippines in its arbitration case against China over the South China Sea on July 12, 2016.
- Payo ni Dok sa mga taong hirap sa paghinga, agad magpa-check up - March 13, 2019
- Artist who created ‘Momo’ says he has destroyed the doll - March 7, 2019
- Second HIV patient cleared of AIDS-causing virus – Reports - March 7, 2019
- Tatlo pang pinaghihinalaang nangunguha ng mga bata, iniimbestigahan - March 5, 2019
- Arestadong kidnapping suspect umaming mahigit 20 bata ang nadukot nila simula Oktubre 2018 - February 25, 2019
- Buong pamilyang Pinoy nasawi sa malagim na car accident sa California - February 25, 2019
- Karamihan sa mga Pinoy naniniwalang bumaba ang bilang ng mga drug users – SWS survey - February 20, 2019
- Lalaking walang braso gumawa ng prosthetic robotic arm gamit ang mga Lego bricks - February 13, 2019
- Pope Francis, inamin ang sekswal na pang-aabuso ng mga pari at obispo sa mga madre - February 13, 2019
- “I have put everything in God’s hands”: Miss Universe 1993 Dayanara Torres shares her skin cancer journey - February 7, 2019