- “Welcome to the Philippines, Province of China” banners were seen hanging on several Metro Manila footbridges
- The banners sparked outrage from netizens who asked that the tarpaulins be removed from the footbridges
- Permanent Court of Arbitration favored the Philippines in its case against China on July 12, 2016
Two years after the Philippines won its arbitration case against China, red banners bearing the words “Welcome to the Philippines, Province of China” were seen hanging on several footbridges in Metro Manila, as per a number of posts on social media.
The banners sparked outrage from netizens who asked that the tarpaulins be removed from the footbridges.
ANC has reported that the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) have already taken the banners down.
The banners were reportedly referenced to a “joke” from President Rodrigo Duterte who said the Philippines could be a province of China to Chinese-Filipino business leaders earlier this year.
“He (Xi Jinping) is a man of honor. They can even make us ‘Philippines, province of China’, we will even avail of services for free. If China were a woman, I’d woo her.”
It is still unclear who put up the banners as no one/group has claimed responsibility over the act.
To note, the Permanent Court of Arbitration ruled in favor of the Philippines in its arbitration case against China over the South China Sea on July 12, 2016.
- Supercouple ‘AlDub’ rakes 2 million tweets on 3rd anniversary - July 19, 2018
- Cebu-based guitar duo brings home gold medal in a world championship competition - July 18, 2018
- [Video] If they’re ready, Joshua will marry Julia 8 to 10 years from now - July 18, 2018
- Special Asssitant to the President Bong Go’s billboard on NLEX taken down - July 18, 2018
- Dedicated employee walks 20 miles to his first day in job; boss gives him a car as gift - July 18, 2018
- ‘I Love You, Hater’ star Julia Barretto: I want to be more than my last name - July 17, 2018
- Wear Your Pinoy Pride: Robin Padilla Kickstarts Brand Pilipinas 2018 - July 17, 2018
- Dumaguete dance troupe wins first place in Korea tilt - July 17, 2018
- Kara expresses gratitude to the journalist behind her ‘1st big break’ - July 17, 2018
- Pacquiao ‘thinking to get back’ Freddie Roach - July 17, 2018