- A new study revealed that a daily dose of baking soda may help reduce the destructive inflammation of autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis
- The study was published in the latest issue of the Journal of Immunology
A daily dose of baking soda could help reduce the destructive inflammation of autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis; a study found for the first time.
According to researchers from Augusta University, someone who has an autoimmune disease could benefit from drinking baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate.
The study which was published in the Journal of Immunology showed that when rats or healthy people drink a solution of baking soda or sodium bicarbonate, it becomes a trigger for the stomach to make more acid to digest the next meal and for little-studied mesothelial cells sitting on the spleen to tell the fist-sized organ that there’s no need to mount a protective immune response.
“Certainly drinking bicarbonate affects the spleen and we think it’s through the mesothelial cells,” said study co-author Paul O’Connor from Augusta University in Georgia, US.
“It’s most likely a hamburger not a bacterial infection,” he added.
Signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis include tender, warm, swollen joints; joint stiffness, fatigue, fever and weight loss. It can affect many nonjoint structures, including skin, eyes, lungs, heart, kidneys, bone marrow, nerve tissues, blood vessels and salivary glands.
The chronic inflammatory disorder may result when the immune system attacks the synovium — the lining of the membranes that surround the joints. Smoking, obesity, family history and age are all factors of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Payo ni Dok sa mga taong hirap sa paghinga, agad magpa-check up - March 13, 2019
- Artist who created ‘Momo’ says he has destroyed the doll - March 7, 2019
- Second HIV patient cleared of AIDS-causing virus – Reports - March 7, 2019
- Tatlo pang pinaghihinalaang nangunguha ng mga bata, iniimbestigahan - March 5, 2019
- Arestadong kidnapping suspect umaming mahigit 20 bata ang nadukot nila simula Oktubre 2018 - February 25, 2019
- Buong pamilyang Pinoy nasawi sa malagim na car accident sa California - February 25, 2019
- Karamihan sa mga Pinoy naniniwalang bumaba ang bilang ng mga drug users – SWS survey - February 20, 2019
- Lalaking walang braso gumawa ng prosthetic robotic arm gamit ang mga Lego bricks - February 13, 2019
- Pope Francis, inamin ang sekswal na pang-aabuso ng mga pari at obispo sa mga madre - February 13, 2019
- “I have put everything in God’s hands”: Miss Universe 1993 Dayanara Torres shares her skin cancer journey - February 7, 2019