- A new study revealed that a daily dose of baking soda may help reduce the destructive inflammation of autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis
- The study was published in the latest issue of the Journal of Immunology
A daily dose of baking soda could help reduce the destructive inflammation of autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis; a study found for the first time.
According to researchers from Augusta University, someone who has an autoimmune disease could benefit from drinking baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate.
The study which was published in the Journal of Immunology showed that when rats or healthy people drink a solution of baking soda or sodium bicarbonate, it becomes a trigger for the stomach to make more acid to digest the next meal and for little-studied mesothelial cells sitting on the spleen to tell the fist-sized organ that there’s no need to mount a protective immune response.
“Certainly drinking bicarbonate affects the spleen and we think it’s through the mesothelial cells,” said study co-author Paul O’Connor from Augusta University in Georgia, US.
“It’s most likely a hamburger not a bacterial infection,” he added.
Signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis include tender, warm, swollen joints; joint stiffness, fatigue, fever and weight loss. It can affect many nonjoint structures, including skin, eyes, lungs, heart, kidneys, bone marrow, nerve tissues, blood vessels and salivary glands.
The chronic inflammatory disorder may result when the immune system attacks the synovium — the lining of the membranes that surround the joints. Smoking, obesity, family history and age are all factors of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Malinis at maluwag na Divisoria, posible pa ba? - June 22, 2019
- Angelica Panganiban, idinaan na sa socmed ang reklamo sa telco dahil sa palpak na serbisyo - June 21, 2019
- PH Army to train with Israeli forces - June 21, 2019
- DFA chief says ‘NO’ to Recto Bank joint probe with China - June 21, 2019
- PAL voted as 2019’s Most Improved Airline by Skytrax - June 19, 2019
- Facebook launches own cryptocurrency “Libra” - June 19, 2019
- Duterte downplays Recto Bank incident: A “little maritime accident” - June 18, 2019
- Throwback: A 1904 photo of flood outside Manila City Hall - June 17, 2019
- Artist who created ‘Momo’ says he has destroyed the doll - March 7, 2019
- Second HIV patient cleared of AIDS-causing virus – Reports - March 7, 2019