- The SC has junked the PCCG claims against the Marcos family and cronies
- The ill-gotten wealth claim was worth P51-B in a case filed in 1987
- Named respondents in the case are Imelda Marcos, Ongpin and several others
MANILA, Philippines – The Supreme Court has rejected the P51-B ill-gotten wealth claims by the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG) against the Marcos family and the late strongman’s cronies.
In a 28-page decision penned by Associate Justice Noel Tijam, the High Court has affirmed an early decision by the Sandiganbayan in 2010 rejecting the PCGG claim against the Marcoses “for reconveyance, reversion, restitution and damages.”
“Juxtaposing the specific allegations in the complaint with the Republic’s documentary and testimonial evidence and as against the respondents’ documentary and testimonial evidence,” said the SC ruling.
“The Court agrees with the Sandiganbayan that the weight of evidence fails to preponderate in the Republic’s favor,” it added.
The case was filed by PCGG in July 1987 which accuses Marcos and his cronies of engaging in “schemes, devices or stratagems” to acquire ill-gotten wealth.
Named respondents in the complaint were former first lady Imelda Marcos; former businessman Rodolfo Cuenca and his son Roberto Cuenca; former Philippine National Bank (PNB) president Panfilo Domingo; former trade minister Roberto Ongpin; former Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP) officer Don Ferry; and 11 other individuals.
In its decision, SC said that for it to determine the veracity of the PCGG’s main contention that it has established a prima facie case against respondents through its documentary and testimonial evidence, reassessment and reexamination of the evidence is necessary.
“Unfortunately, the limited and discretionary judicial review allowed under Rule 45 does not envision a re-evaluation of the sufficiency of the evidence upon which respondent court’s action was predicated,” it added.
- KC Concepcion gifts her childhood nanny a brand new house - November 5, 2018
- KathNiel’s ‘The Hows of Us’ sets record with P35M box-office opening gross - October 31, 2018
- Gilas turns attention to FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers after ASIAN Games - October 31, 2018
- Palace denies Duterte brought 400-man delegation to Israel - October 31, 2018
- No Senate run for PAO chief Persida Acosta in 2019 - October 31, 2018
- NFA OKs immediate importation of 133,5000 MT of rice for Zambasutla - October 31, 2018
- Philippines climbs 10th place in long-term trade sustainability study - October 31, 2018
- DOST pushes for the creation of a Philippine Space Agency - October 31, 2018
- PCOO reprimands Mocha Uson with memo over ‘pederalismo’ video - October 31, 2018
- Dingdong to run for public office in 2019, says Marian - October 31, 2018