- The POEA warned Filipino women against the “marriage-for-job” scam in China
- Five Filipina victims of the scam sought the help of DFA for repatriation
- The DFA recorded a total of 23 Pinay victims of the scam
Aspiring female overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) were warned by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) against the “marriage-for-job” scam in China by some unscrupulous individuals.
As per GMA News, the POEA issued the warning following the report of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) that five Filipinas who were stranded in China sought the government’s assistance for repatriation. The women were allegedly victims of the aforementioned scam.
The five Filipinas were recruited by two Chinese nationals identified as Song Gang and Li Chunrong, also known as Steven Lee. Chunrong is reportedly the husband of a certain Violeta Aquino of Urbiztondo, Pangasinan.
One of the victims claimed that the suspects promised to give her family P140,000 as dowry after the marriage, but they received only P100,000 after the suspects deducted the cost of wedding and reception.
According to the DFA, the victims were legally married to Chinese men and are holders of valid resident permits but their husbands did not allow them to find work in China. They also discovered that the men they married do not have the financial capacity to support them and their respective families in the Philippines; contrary to what was promised them.
The DFA recorded a total of 23 Filipinas victimized by the “marriage-for-job” scam.
- Karamihan sa mga Pinoy naniniwalang bumaba ang bilang ng mga drug users – SWS survey - February 20, 2019
- Lalaking walang braso gumawa ng prosthetic robotic arm gamit ang mga Lego bricks - February 13, 2019
- Pope Francis, inamin ang sekswal na pang-aabuso ng mga pari at obispo sa mga madre - February 13, 2019
- “I have put everything in God’s hands”: Miss Universe 1993 Dayanara Torres shares her skin cancer journey - February 7, 2019
- KC Concepcion gifts her childhood nanny a brand new house - November 5, 2018
- KathNiel’s ‘The Hows of Us’ sets record with P35M box-office opening gross - October 31, 2018
- Gilas turns attention to FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers after ASIAN Games - October 31, 2018
- Palace denies Duterte brought 400-man delegation to Israel - October 31, 2018
- No Senate run for PAO chief Persida Acosta in 2019 - October 31, 2018
- NFA OKs immediate importation of 133,5000 MT of rice for Zambasutla - October 31, 2018