- PAGASA said ‘Ompong’ may develop into a ‘supertyphoon’ before hitting land
- It is expected to make landfall in Cagayan-Isabela area Saturday morning
- Signal No. 1 is up in most part of Luzon area
MANILA, Philippines – The state weather bureau PAGASA said on Thursday Tropical Cyclone Ompong may develop into a ‘supertyphoon’ before hitting land on Saturday morning, September 15.
According to PAGASA administrator Vicente Molano, Ompong’s diameter has grown larger from 600 kilometers on Tuesday to 900 kilometers on Wednesday morning which could affect more areas across the Philippine archipelago.
“There is still a possibility that it will reach the supertyphoon (category),” said Molano.
PAGASA forecasted Ompong to further strengthen to 220 kph on Thursday which means it could be categorized as a supertyphoon by then.
As of the latest weather bulletin at 5:00 pm Thursday, the eye of the typhoon is spotted 575 km East Northeast of Virac, Catanduanes (14.8 °N, 129.4 °E ), moving west northwest at 25 kph and packing a maximum sustained winds of 205 kph near the center and gustiness of up to 255 kph.
It is expected to make landfall in Cagayan-Isabela area on Saturday early morning, September 15.
Signal No. 1 are up in the following areas:
- Cagayan including Babuyan group of Islands
- Mountain Province
- La Union
- Ilocos Norte
- Ilocos Sur
- Nueva Vizcaya
- Nueva Ecija
- Metro Manila
- Quezon inc. Polillo Island
- Northern Occidental Mindoro
- Northern Oriental Mindoro
- Camarines Norte
- Camarines Sur
- Burias and Ticao island
- Northern Samar
Occasional rains and gusty winds will be experienced over these areas within the next 36 hours; while moderate to occasionally heavy rains due to southwest monsoon will be experienced over Palawan, Zamboanga Peninsula and Visayas on Friday, September 14.
The said weather condition will prevail in these areas until Saturday, September 15, PAGASA said.
- Payo ni Dok sa mga taong hirap sa paghinga, agad magpa-check up - March 13, 2019
- Artist who created ‘Momo’ says he has destroyed the doll - March 7, 2019
- Second HIV patient cleared of AIDS-causing virus – Reports - March 7, 2019
- Tatlo pang pinaghihinalaang nangunguha ng mga bata, iniimbestigahan - March 5, 2019
- Arestadong kidnapping suspect umaming mahigit 20 bata ang nadukot nila simula Oktubre 2018 - February 25, 2019
- Buong pamilyang Pinoy nasawi sa malagim na car accident sa California - February 25, 2019
- Karamihan sa mga Pinoy naniniwalang bumaba ang bilang ng mga drug users – SWS survey - February 20, 2019
- Lalaking walang braso gumawa ng prosthetic robotic arm gamit ang mga Lego bricks - February 13, 2019
- Pope Francis, inamin ang sekswal na pang-aabuso ng mga pari at obispo sa mga madre - February 13, 2019
- “I have put everything in God’s hands”: Miss Universe 1993 Dayanara Torres shares her skin cancer journey - February 7, 2019