- The Office of the Ombudsman confirmed it has started investigation on Calida’s firm
- Morales said field investigators are now gathering documents for possible ‘case build-up’
- Calida has maintained there is no conflict of interest on his part
MANILA, Philippines – Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales has confirmed her office has launched a fact-finding investigation on Solicitor General Jose Calida whose security company has secured multi-million contracts with government agencies.
Morales refused to divulge details of the probe but said investigators are now gathering documents for a possible “case build-up”.
“As I said, the case is pending fact-finding investigation. I don’t like to pre-empt the result of the fact-finding investigation… Whatever I might say now, he might say I’m taking revenge,” said Morales in an interview over CNN Philippines.
While Morales did not confirm if Calida may be held liable for conflict of interest, she explained in an early radio interview that as the government’s chief lawyer, the Solicitor General may have duties to government agencies which his firm, the Vigilant Investigative and Security Agency Inc. (Visai), have signed contracts with.
“Ibig sabihin kliyente mo ang NEDA dahil ikaw ay may security agency na nakipagkontrata sa (kanya) and at the same time kliyente mo rin ang NEDA dahil ikaw ang magrerepresenta sa kanya sa korte so iyan ang mga tinitingnan ng investigators,” said Morales.
[It means your client os NEDA because your security agency has contract with them, and at the same time, NEDA is also your client because you will represent them in court, so that’s what’s the investigators are looking into.]
Calida maintains there is no conflict of interest on his part; arguing that he has since resigned as president of Visai before accepting the position of Solicitor General. He further insisted he was not required to divest his shares from the company since OSG was not involved in the deals nor was it mandated to regulate companies like Visai.
- Payo ni Dok sa mga taong hirap sa paghinga, agad magpa-check up - March 13, 2019
- Artist who created ‘Momo’ says he has destroyed the doll - March 7, 2019
- Second HIV patient cleared of AIDS-causing virus – Reports - March 7, 2019
- Tatlo pang pinaghihinalaang nangunguha ng mga bata, iniimbestigahan - March 5, 2019
- Arestadong kidnapping suspect umaming mahigit 20 bata ang nadukot nila simula Oktubre 2018 - February 25, 2019
- Buong pamilyang Pinoy nasawi sa malagim na car accident sa California - February 25, 2019
- Karamihan sa mga Pinoy naniniwalang bumaba ang bilang ng mga drug users – SWS survey - February 20, 2019
- Lalaking walang braso gumawa ng prosthetic robotic arm gamit ang mga Lego bricks - February 13, 2019
- Pope Francis, inamin ang sekswal na pang-aabuso ng mga pari at obispo sa mga madre - February 13, 2019
- “I have put everything in God’s hands”: Miss Universe 1993 Dayanara Torres shares her skin cancer journey - February 7, 2019