- National Food Authority approved the immediate importation of 133,500 metric tons of rice for Zambasutla
- NFA said it will continue to provide consumers inexpensive quality NFA rice
- Citizens can receive a reward of up to P250,000 via reporting a hoarder
The National Food Authority’s (NFA) council approved the immediate importation of 133,500 metric tons of rice for Zamboanga, Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi (Zambasulta) to help in the ongoing problem of high rice prices in the area, Tuesday.
According to the Philippine News Agency, 33,500 metric tons is set to deliver on September 15-30 while the remaining 100,000 metric tons are expected to arrive within the months of October and November.
GMA News quoted NFA saying, “The rice crisis in Zamboanga has been declared solved, but NFA continues to distribute its P27/kilogram well-milled rice in the market even as cheaper commercial rice stocks are also flooding in.”
NFA said it shall allocate additional rice supply to retailers and offer with more affordable alternatives; to provide consumers cheaper quality NFA rice at P27 per kilo.
The Department of Agriculture (DA) Secretary Emmanuel Pinol, based on a Manila Standard story, said people reporting to them vital information on rice hoarders would be rewarded up to P250,000 via their “report-a-hoarder campaign”. Citizens can get in touch with them via their hotline number 9219117.
Pinol said on Monday that the area is the only in the country experiencing rice shortage.
He also said the government will increase its subsidized rice to the area from 2,000 to 4,000 bags per day.
- KC Concepcion gifts her childhood nanny a brand new house - November 5, 2018
- KathNiel’s ‘The Hows of Us’ sets record with P35M box-office opening gross - October 31, 2018
- Gilas turns attention to FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers after ASIAN Games - October 31, 2018
- Palace denies Duterte brought 400-man delegation to Israel - October 31, 2018
- No Senate run for PAO chief Persida Acosta in 2019 - October 31, 2018
- NFA OKs immediate importation of 133,5000 MT of rice for Zambasutla - October 31, 2018
- Philippines climbs 10th place in long-term trade sustainability study - October 31, 2018
- DOST pushes for the creation of a Philippine Space Agency - October 31, 2018
- PCOO reprimands Mocha Uson with memo over ‘pederalismo’ video - October 31, 2018
- Dingdong to run for public office in 2019, says Marian - October 31, 2018