Heavy floods swamped the City of Marikina amid torrential rainsbrought about by the southwest monsoon or habagat. Reports said water level in the Marikina River rose to 20.5 meters on Saturday and triggered floods which left residents with no choice but to seek safer grounds. Thousands of residents in the city had to immediately evacuate.
Photos and videos of floodings in the city were shared on social media; giving us a look of how dire the situation is in flood-stricken areas.
As of 6 pm on Saturday, Marikina Mayor Marcy Teodoro disclosed that around 800 families or more than 5,000 individuals had to leave their homes and go to evacuation centers; adding that their city has 13 designated centers.
In another report, it said that the river’s water level has gone down to 17 meters as of Sunday morning although some areas in Marikina remain flooded; prodding rescuers to use rubber boats to check on those who stayed in their homes during the onslaught of habagat.
Marikina City’s Evacuation Centers
In the midst of all the challenges that Marikenyos are facing right now, it is interesting to note that many have lauded – via social media – their local government’s efforts with regards to their evacuation centers.
Netizens from Marikina City have shared photos of the well-coordinated efforts to assist evacuees.
Angelito Taroy posted three photos: “Eto po ang mga school gym namin sa MARIKINA CITY na ginawang evacuation center ng mga nasalanta ng kalamidad. Hindi po pinababayaang nakakalat ang mga pamilya, may security at privacy ang bawat pamilya. Salamat po sa local gov, ng marikina city. Sana gayahin ng ibang lungsod. Pansinin nyo nakaprint sa tent, ni walang pangalan ng mayor namin. Kayo na po humusga.”
Another netizen, Anna Laforteza-Amat, shared on her social media post: “I love Marikina City! Salamat Mayor sa pagiging mapagkalinga at may pagpapahalaga sa mga Marikenyo. Salamat din sa lahat ng katuwang ni Mayor sa City Hall para mapaglingkuran ang mga apektadong mamamayan.”
[Thank you, Mayor, for being caring and for valuing the residents of Marikina. Thanks also to all those who partnered with the Mayor in order to serve the affected citizens.]
- PRRD says the country needs more citizens like Ninoy Aquino - August 20, 2018
- Speaker Gloria Arroyo says she has no plans to run as Prime Minister - August 20, 2018
- 52-year-old OFW found lifeless in a hotel room in Saudi Arabia - August 20, 2018
- Bais City constructs lighthouse for Golden Charter Anniversary - August 20, 2018
- Frightened passengers take video of an alleged white lady along Old Zigzag road - August 20, 2018
- PGH PA condemns Ramon Tulfo ‘cyberbullying, shaming’ a medical staff - August 20, 2018
- Super Tekla reveals facing doubts regarding his sexuality before confirming he’s 100% guy - August 20, 2018
- Filipino math wizards win 24 medals in an international competition held in China - August 20, 2018
- Joma Sison claims PRRD in coma - August 20, 2018
- ‘Inday Will Always Love You’ gets season 2 due to success in ratings, social media - August 18, 2018