- Philippine Identification System is set to take effect on Saturday
- The law aims to ease the way for Filipinos to prove their identity via a single ID
- PSA targets to initially distribute one million national IDs
The Philippine Identification System (PhilSys) Act or Republic Act 11055 which was signed by President Rodrigo Duterte on August 6 is set to take effect on Saturday, August 25, according to GMA News.
According to Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) chief and National Statistician Lisa Grace Bersales via Super Radyo dzBB interview, the law will take effect 15 days after its publication in general circulation on August 9.
The law seeks to bring a single identification card for the Filipinos which will be called the Philippine ID (PhilID) that the citizens have to present instead of multiple ID cards to prove their identity.
Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Martin Andanar emphasized its various importance such as making transactions easier and faster, curb corruption and red tape especially for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) who needs to go home just to renew their IDs.
The PhilID will contain information such as the PhilSys number, full name, facial image, gender, date of birth, blood type, and address.
Duterte, during the signing of the law, said the information in the PhilID will not be any different from the information already possessed by different government agencies — to address the concerns on data privacy and security; as posted by Business Mirror.
The country’s leader said it will even aid in the drive against the social menace of poverty, corruption and criminal issues including terrorism and violent extremism.
His spokesperson, Harry Roque, Jr., moreover, said the government has the obligation to protect the data gathered by the National ID system as there is already a privacy law.
The targeted completion of the PhilSys’ implementing rules and regulations is in September.
With an initial funding of P2-billion under the 2018 national budget, PSA aims to initially distribute a million of national IDs.
- Karamihan sa mga Pinoy naniniwalang bumaba ang bilang ng mga drug users – SWS survey - February 20, 2019
- Lalaking walang braso gumawa ng prosthetic robotic arm gamit ang mga Lego bricks - February 13, 2019
- Pope Francis, inamin ang sekswal na pang-aabuso ng mga pari at obispo sa mga madre - February 13, 2019
- “I have put everything in God’s hands”: Miss Universe 1993 Dayanara Torres shares her skin cancer journey - February 7, 2019
- KC Concepcion gifts her childhood nanny a brand new house - November 5, 2018
- KathNiel’s ‘The Hows of Us’ sets record with P35M box-office opening gross - October 31, 2018
- Gilas turns attention to FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers after ASIAN Games - October 31, 2018
- Palace denies Duterte brought 400-man delegation to Israel - October 31, 2018
- No Senate run for PAO chief Persida Acosta in 2019 - October 31, 2018
- NFA OKs immediate importation of 133,5000 MT of rice for Zambasutla - October 31, 2018