- Philippine Identification System is set to take effect on Saturday
- The law aims to ease the way for Filipinos to prove their identity via a single ID
- PSA targets to initially distribute one million national IDs
The Philippine Identification System (PhilSys) Act or Republic Act 11055 which was signed by President Rodrigo Duterte on August 6 is set to take effect on Saturday, August 25, according to GMA News.
According to Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) chief and National Statistician Lisa Grace Bersales via Super Radyo dzBB interview, the law will take effect 15 days after its publication in general circulation on August 9.
The law seeks to bring a single identification card for the Filipinos which will be called the Philippine ID (PhilID) that the citizens have to present instead of multiple ID cards to prove their identity.
Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Martin Andanar emphasized its various importance such as making transactions easier and faster, curb corruption and red tape especially for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) who needs to go home just to renew their IDs.
The PhilID will contain information such as the PhilSys number, full name, facial image, gender, date of birth, blood type, and address.
Duterte, during the signing of the law, said the information in the PhilID will not be any different from the information already possessed by different government agencies — to address the concerns on data privacy and security; as posted by Business Mirror.
The country’s leader said it will even aid in the drive against the social menace of poverty, corruption and criminal issues including terrorism and violent extremism.
His spokesperson, Harry Roque, Jr., moreover, said the government has the obligation to protect the data gathered by the National ID system as there is already a privacy law.
The targeted completion of the PhilSys’ implementing rules and regulations is in September.
With an initial funding of P2-billion under the 2018 national budget, PSA aims to initially distribute a million of national IDs.
- Malinis at maluwag na Divisoria, posible pa ba? - June 22, 2019
- Angelica Panganiban, idinaan na sa socmed ang reklamo sa telco dahil sa palpak na serbisyo - June 21, 2019
- PH Army to train with Israeli forces - June 21, 2019
- DFA chief says ‘NO’ to Recto Bank joint probe with China - June 21, 2019
- PAL voted as 2019’s Most Improved Airline by Skytrax - June 19, 2019
- Facebook launches own cryptocurrency “Libra” - June 19, 2019
- Duterte downplays Recto Bank incident: A “little maritime accident” - June 18, 2019
- Throwback: A 1904 photo of flood outside Manila City Hall - June 17, 2019
- Artist who created ‘Momo’ says he has destroyed the doll - March 7, 2019
- Second HIV patient cleared of AIDS-causing virus – Reports - March 7, 2019