- Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales has no plans to run for public office
- Morales said politics is not for her
- Earlier, Senator Bam Aquino said Morales and Sereno should join the opposition slate
MANILA, Philippines – Outgoing Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales has no plans to run for public office after her retirement this year. Morales will be stepping down as the country’s top graftbuster next month after completing her 7-year term.
She admitted in an interview with CNN Philippines that some people are convincing her to run for a public office, although the Constitution prohibits the Ombudsman and his/her deputies “to run for any office in the election immediately succeeding their cessation from office”.
“Well, some people are pulling my leg,” said Morales. “But politics is not for me.”
Morales also admitted she’s already excited to return to private life and said her mind is set not to seek elective position “under any circumstance”.
Earlier, opposition senator Bam Aquino said Morales, as well as former Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno, should join the “Resistance Coalition” as one of its senatorial candidates.
The coalition is comprised of opposition Liberal Party (LP), Akbayan, Magdalo, and Tindig Pilipinas group.
“Why not? Alam mo kung mayroon kang mga tao na handang tumutol, handang magsalita, handang maging independent, palagay ko all of them will be good members of the opposition slate, kailangan namin iyon,” said Aquino.
[Why not? If there are individuals who are ready to stand up and speak up, ready to be independent, I think all of them will be good members of the opposition slate, we need them.]
- KC Concepcion gifts her childhood nanny a brand new house - November 5, 2018
- KathNiel’s ‘The Hows of Us’ sets record with P35M box-office opening gross - October 31, 2018
- Gilas turns attention to FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers after ASIAN Games - October 31, 2018
- Palace denies Duterte brought 400-man delegation to Israel - October 31, 2018
- No Senate run for PAO chief Persida Acosta in 2019 - October 31, 2018
- NFA OKs immediate importation of 133,5000 MT of rice for Zambasutla - October 31, 2018
- Philippines climbs 10th place in long-term trade sustainability study - October 31, 2018
- DOST pushes for the creation of a Philippine Space Agency - October 31, 2018
- PCOO reprimands Mocha Uson with memo over ‘pederalismo’ video - October 31, 2018
- Dingdong to run for public office in 2019, says Marian - October 31, 2018