- Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales has no plans to run for public office
- Morales said politics is not for her
- Earlier, Senator Bam Aquino said Morales and Sereno should join the opposition slate
MANILA, Philippines – Outgoing Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales has no plans to run for public office after her retirement this year. Morales will be stepping down as the country’s top graftbuster next month after completing her 7-year term.
She admitted in an interview with CNN Philippines that some people are convincing her to run for a public office, although the Constitution prohibits the Ombudsman and his/her deputies “to run for any office in the election immediately succeeding their cessation from office”.
“Well, some people are pulling my leg,” said Morales. “But politics is not for me.”
Morales also admitted she’s already excited to return to private life and said her mind is set not to seek elective position “under any circumstance”.
Earlier, opposition senator Bam Aquino said Morales, as well as former Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno, should join the “Resistance Coalition” as one of its senatorial candidates.
The coalition is comprised of opposition Liberal Party (LP), Akbayan, Magdalo, and Tindig Pilipinas group.
“Why not? Alam mo kung mayroon kang mga tao na handang tumutol, handang magsalita, handang maging independent, palagay ko all of them will be good members of the opposition slate, kailangan namin iyon,” said Aquino.
[Why not? If there are individuals who are ready to stand up and speak up, ready to be independent, I think all of them will be good members of the opposition slate, we need them.]
- Payo ni Dok sa mga taong hirap sa paghinga, agad magpa-check up - March 13, 2019
- Artist who created ‘Momo’ says he has destroyed the doll - March 7, 2019
- Second HIV patient cleared of AIDS-causing virus – Reports - March 7, 2019
- Tatlo pang pinaghihinalaang nangunguha ng mga bata, iniimbestigahan - March 5, 2019
- Arestadong kidnapping suspect umaming mahigit 20 bata ang nadukot nila simula Oktubre 2018 - February 25, 2019
- Buong pamilyang Pinoy nasawi sa malagim na car accident sa California - February 25, 2019
- Karamihan sa mga Pinoy naniniwalang bumaba ang bilang ng mga drug users – SWS survey - February 20, 2019
- Lalaking walang braso gumawa ng prosthetic robotic arm gamit ang mga Lego bricks - February 13, 2019
- Pope Francis, inamin ang sekswal na pang-aabuso ng mga pari at obispo sa mga madre - February 13, 2019
- “I have put everything in God’s hands”: Miss Universe 1993 Dayanara Torres shares her skin cancer journey - February 7, 2019