- Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales has no plans to run for public office
- Morales said politics is not for her
- Earlier, Senator Bam Aquino said Morales and Sereno should join the opposition slate
MANILA, Philippines – Outgoing Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales has no plans to run for public office after her retirement this year. Morales will be stepping down as the country’s top graftbuster next month after completing her 7-year term.
She admitted in an interview with CNN Philippines that some people are convincing her to run for a public office, although the Constitution prohibits the Ombudsman and his/her deputies “to run for any office in the election immediately succeeding their cessation from office”.
“Well, some people are pulling my leg,” said Morales. “But politics is not for me.”
Morales also admitted she’s already excited to return to private life and said her mind is set not to seek elective position “under any circumstance”.
Earlier, opposition senator Bam Aquino said Morales, as well as former Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno, should join the “Resistance Coalition” as one of its senatorial candidates.
The coalition is comprised of opposition Liberal Party (LP), Akbayan, Magdalo, and Tindig Pilipinas group.
“Why not? Alam mo kung mayroon kang mga tao na handang tumutol, handang magsalita, handang maging independent, palagay ko all of them will be good members of the opposition slate, kailangan namin iyon,” said Aquino.
[Why not? If there are individuals who are ready to stand up and speak up, ready to be independent, I think all of them will be good members of the opposition slate, we need them.]
- NGCP honors MAGELCO for best practices - October 15, 2018
- Top Electrical Safety Tips for The Whole Family - October 15, 2018
- KC Concepcion gifts her childhood nanny a brand new house - October 8, 2018
- RAWR Awards will be happening again in November - September 19, 2018
- Palparan sentenced with ‘reclusion perpetua’ over disappearance of 2 UP students - September 17, 2018
- Solaric Leads Solar Panel Installation in the Philippines - September 14, 2018
- Court defers ruling on Trillanes’ arrest warrant - September 13, 2018
- PAGASA: ‘Ompong’ may become supertyphoon before making landfall; threatens Northern Luzon - September 13, 2018
- Maguindanao towns get more power from electrification - September 10, 2018
- Makati court sets hearing on Trillanes’ arrest warrant on September 13 - September 6, 2018