- A decade long hunt to catch the Katherine region’s biggest crocodile has ended in triumph
- The male saltwater croc weighs 600 kilograms and measures 4.7 meters
A decade long hunt to catch the elusive saltwater crocodile weighing 600 kilograms (1,328 pounds) in Australia has finally ended, officials said Tuesday.
The 4.7-meter (15.4-foot) male beast was found in a trap downstream from the northern outback town of Katherine after first being spotted in 2010. Northern Territory Parks and Wildlife confirmed the news that it had trapped the 600-kilogram reptile on Monday.
Officials have tried in vain for years to catch the croc, which they said was around 60 years old.
“We’ve called it a lot of things over the years because it’s been so hard to catch,” senior wildlife officer John Burke told broadcaster ABC via NDTV.
“It is a bit of a thrill, but you’ve also got to admire the size of the animal and how old it is. You’ve got to have a bit of respect for it.”
“He is the biggest crocodile ever removed from the Katherine River by the Wildlife Operations Unit,” Northern Territory wildlife operations chief Tracey Duldig said in a statement.
Since crocodiles became a protected species, crocodile numbers in the Northern Territory have exploded from 3,000 to an estimated 80,000 to 100,000.
Because saltwater crocodiles can live up 70 years and grow throughout their lives, reaching up to 7 meters (23 feet), the proportion of large crocodiles is also rising.
- KC Concepcion gifts her childhood nanny a brand new house - November 5, 2018
- KathNiel’s ‘The Hows of Us’ sets record with P35M box-office opening gross - October 31, 2018
- Gilas turns attention to FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers after ASIAN Games - October 31, 2018
- Palace denies Duterte brought 400-man delegation to Israel - October 31, 2018
- No Senate run for PAO chief Persida Acosta in 2019 - October 31, 2018
- NFA OKs immediate importation of 133,5000 MT of rice for Zambasutla - October 31, 2018
- Philippines climbs 10th place in long-term trade sustainability study - October 31, 2018
- DOST pushes for the creation of a Philippine Space Agency - October 31, 2018
- PCOO reprimands Mocha Uson with memo over ‘pederalismo’ video - October 31, 2018
- Dingdong to run for public office in 2019, says Marian - October 31, 2018