I started this day by watching the latest version of “Biyahe Tayo,” which was released yesterday. Ever since Version 1 came out in 2004, it has become one of my anthems. I quoted it in my thesis, based my local travel bucket list on it, and directed my own version of it to promote Philippine tourism during the 35th Ship for the Southeast Asian Youth Program (guess which singer I played… I’ll give you three guesses and the other two don’t count!).
The new video is part of the “Pilipinas, Tara Na!” (“Let’s go, Philippines!”) campaign. Its primary audience is the local market. Why oh why local and not international, you might ask. Well, domestic tourism brings 28 million travellers across the country, contributing P900 billion to the Philippine economy. PAK! PAK! PAK! This is also a livelihood-generating industry. According to former(!!!!!!!!!!?????) DOT Secretary Albert Lim, “(It takes) eight domestic tourists to create one job.” Just 8. What more 28 million?
Bantayan Island, Cebu
For the 2011 campaign, Rene Nieva rewrote parts of the lyrics and created three versions. He decided to add more of the country’s destinations and dishes. Because we’re rich like that 🙂
This allows me to create a new bucket list too! Let’s see…
Nag-driving ka na ba
Sa mga bayan sa baybay
Ng buong Laguna de Bay
Tuloy-tuloy sa Tagaytay?
Nalasap mo na ba
Ang Lanzones ng Camiguin
Penoy balot ng Pateros
Ensaymada ng Malolos?
Fort Santiago, Kawit, Mactan
Barasoain, Corregidor at Bataan.
Nag-shopping ka na ba
Sa malls ng Metro Manila
Naka-bargain sa Baclaran
Greenhills at Divisoria?
Nakapag-uwi ka na ba
Ng perlas mula Sulu
World-class shoes from Marikina
Abaca bags from Bicolandia?
Nakisaya ka na ba
Sa Pahiyas at Masskara
Moriones at Ati-atihan
Sinulog at Kadayawan?
Namiesta ka na ba
Sa Penafrancia sa Naga
Umakyat sa Antipolo
Nagsayaw sa Obando?
The full lyrics can be found here.
Find out more at the Pilipinas Tara Na Facebook page.
Below is the one-day old “Biyahe Tayo” v2. This, for me, is a testament of our natural talent in art and music. Prepare to have goosebumps all over your body. Watch and weep, kababayan. I did :’)
- “Wala ka sa Lola ko!” - April 6, 2013
- An Introduction to Writing About Arts and Culture - September 29, 2011
- maglakbay at mamangha sa sarili nating bansa - August 11, 2011
- TOMS is looking for dynamic young leaders! - August 5, 2011
- call for applications: Global Changemakers Youth Summit in the UK - July 15, 2011
- CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: Blog Action Day on June 8 to Save our Coral Reefs and Seas! - June 1, 2011
- DENSO Youth for Earth Action 2011 applications now open! - May 11, 2011
- Youth Manifesto to Address Planetary Malpractice - May 4, 2011
- running on sunshine: my personal guide to good vibes - May 3, 2011
- apo island: take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles - April 14, 2011