- Increasing taxes for tobacco is crucial in achieving universal health care, a health group believes
- New Vois Association of the Philippines supports legislative moves to raise tobacco tax to P60 per pack
- NVAP President Emer Rojas said Sin Tax was instrumental in increasing health budgets since 5 years ago
Increasing taxes for tobacco is crucial in achieving universal health care, a health group believes.
New Vois Association of the Philippines (NVAP) President Emer Rojas said they support legislative moves to raise tobacco tax from the current P35 per pack to P60 per pack or more.
“As Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) we are often faced with the dilemma of having to access appropriate health care services due to their costs so having a universal health care in place would hopefully bridge that gap,” Rojas, a victim of smoking-related illness, noted.
Rojas stressed that the Sin Tax was instrumental in increasing health budgets since five years ago with 85 percent of it used to fund health programs.
It is estimated that the country loses P210 billion a year from just the four major tobacco-related diseases alone.
- Duterte ‘weeps’ during valve opening of oil and gas production in Cebu - May 26, 2018
- Filipino contestant and partner win grand prize in Belgium’s Got Talent - May 26, 2018
- Internet star Jelai Andres gets big surprise from future mom-in-law - May 25, 2018
- Pinoy photographer Rommel Lugada wins bronze in Moscow Int’l Foto Awards - May 25, 2018
- BOC seizes cigarettes, other misdeclared goods worth P36.5M at MICP, Tondo - May 25, 2018
- “More than slimming down”, Bea shares her ‘moral reasons’ for being Pescatarian - May 25, 2018
- Jet Li speaks up after viral photo sparked rumors on his poor health - May 25, 2018
- Groom divorces bride within 15 minutes into marrying her - May 25, 2018
- Apple’s WWDC is set and the invites are out - May 25, 2018
- Anne visits memory lane as she talked about her fave childhood food - May 25, 2018