- Increasing taxes for tobacco is crucial in achieving universal health care, a health group believes
- New Vois Association of the Philippines supports legislative moves to raise tobacco tax to P60 per pack
- NVAP President Emer Rojas said Sin Tax was instrumental in increasing health budgets since 5 years ago
Increasing taxes for tobacco is crucial in achieving universal health care, a health group believes.
New Vois Association of the Philippines (NVAP) President Emer Rojas said they support legislative moves to raise tobacco tax from the current P35 per pack to P60 per pack or more.
“As Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) we are often faced with the dilemma of having to access appropriate health care services due to their costs so having a universal health care in place would hopefully bridge that gap,” Rojas, a victim of smoking-related illness, noted.
Rojas stressed that the Sin Tax was instrumental in increasing health budgets since five years ago with 85 percent of it used to fund health programs.
It is estimated that the country loses P210 billion a year from just the four major tobacco-related diseases alone.
- 52-year-old OFW found lifeless in a hotel room in Saudi Arabia - August 20, 2018
- Bais City constructs lighthouse for Golden Charter Anniversary - August 20, 2018
- Frightened passengers take video of an alleged white lady along Old Zigzag road - August 20, 2018
- PGH PA condemns Ramon Tulfo ‘cyberbullying, shaming’ a medical staff - August 20, 2018
- Super Tekla reveals facing doubts regarding his sexuality before confirming he’s 100% guy - August 20, 2018
- Filipino math wizards win 24 medals in an international competition held in China - August 20, 2018
- Joma Sison claims PRRD in coma - August 20, 2018
- ‘Inday Will Always Love You’ gets season 2 due to success in ratings, social media - August 18, 2018
- National ID system law to take effect on Saturday, gets P2-B initial funding - August 18, 2018
- Owner, admin of private school in CamSur in hot water over burning of students’ bags out of anger - August 18, 2018