- Filipino students bring home 24 medals from a Chinese international math competition
- Two grade 8 students each garnered a gold medal for the country
- About 1000 participants joined the math tournament
Filipino mathematics wizards have definitely proven their sterling prowess in the subject after bagging a total of 24 medals at the recently held 2018 Hua Luo Geng International Golden Cup Mathematics Competition, August 10-14, Xiamen, China.
Their medals include two golds, ten silvers, and 12 bronze medals.
Grade 8 students Robert Frederick Uy of Philippine Science High School – Western Visayas and Keean Nathaniel Tang of UNO High School each garnered a gold medal for the country.
They were, moreover, given a bronze medal each for ranking in the overall top 7th to 9th places.
The silver medal awardees are: Iris Lexi Ababon, Colegio San Agustin-Makati; Kody Briones, Emmanuel Christian School; Juan Rafael Landicho, Philippine Science High School-CALABARZON; Walsh Nico Adrian Letran, Saint Jude Catholic School; John David Magnaye, Philippine Science High School-Main; Cassidy Kyler Tan, Davao Christian High School; Enzo Rafael Chan, Bayanihan Institute; Sean Matthew Tan, Jubilee Christian Academy; Chiara Bernadette Tan-Gatue, Saint Jude Catholic School; and David Kyle Picart, University of Santo Tomas-Legazpi.
The bronze medalists according to Manila Standard are Sophie Jill Co, PACE Academy; Ian Gabriel Hong, PACE Academy; Kristner Sheyn Saludo, Southville International Schools and Colleges; Anika Gayle Tan, Zamboanga Chong Hua High School; Kei Hang Derek Chan, Saint Jude Catholic School; Mayah Christine Lim, Philippine Science High School-Main; Alvann Walter Paredes Dy, Saint Jude Catholic School; Noel Stephen Dequito, Xavier School-Nuvali; Sigfred Kerwayne Kwan, Zamboanga Chong Hua High School; and Andrei Lenard Chan, Zamboanga Chong Hua High School.
According to Dr. Isidro Aguilar, president of the Mathematics Trainers Guild Philippines (MTG), the Philippines is the only country outside China who bagged gold medals in the tilt.
MTG is an organization of experts who trains and prepares students for international math competitions; based on a Business Mirror article.
GMA News disclosed about 1000 participants from 20 cities in China, Taiwan, Hongkong, Malaysia, Macau, and the Philippines joined the event.
Hua Luo Geng International Golden Cup Mathematics Competition started in 1986 in honor of the popular Chinese mathematician Hua Luo Geng.
The competition is considered as the toughest math tournament for primary and junior high school students in mainland China.
Here’s a video story from Philip News on YouTube:
- Malinis at maluwag na Divisoria, posible pa ba? - June 22, 2019
- Angelica Panganiban, idinaan na sa socmed ang reklamo sa telco dahil sa palpak na serbisyo - June 21, 2019
- PH Army to train with Israeli forces - June 21, 2019
- DFA chief says ‘NO’ to Recto Bank joint probe with China - June 21, 2019
- PAL voted as 2019’s Most Improved Airline by Skytrax - June 19, 2019
- Facebook launches own cryptocurrency “Libra” - June 19, 2019
- Duterte downplays Recto Bank incident: A “little maritime accident” - June 18, 2019
- Throwback: A 1904 photo of flood outside Manila City Hall - June 17, 2019
- Artist who created ‘Momo’ says he has destroyed the doll - March 7, 2019
- Second HIV patient cleared of AIDS-causing virus – Reports - March 7, 2019