In Leviticus it states that if a man lies with a man as one does with a woman, it is unclean (or an abomination, depending on your translation). This is usually interpreted as being a sin. The same terminology is used, however, when describing eating things like pork, hare, shellfish, any creatures that live in water but don’t have scales, and birds of prey, among other things.
Women are also said to be an abomination 33 days after giving birth to a boy and 66 days after giving birth to a girl and animals must be given up as sacrifice to cleanse her of her sins (of giving birth, I guess), and having sex with a woman during her period is an abomination. A man cutting his beard is an abomination. Tattoos are an abomination. Also, in this book, cursing one’s parents results in the death penalty. (source)
Almost MOST of what’s mentioned above is something every Filipino has been guilty of, it’s why it’s often surprising when I see my fellow Filipinos quote the Bible when passing judgement on people they don’t know, on matters that has not affected their own lives. I particularly love those who says, “Marriage is between a man and a woman, it’s in the Bible”, then post pictures of the PORK they are eating.
We Filipinos have a bad habit of fearing what we cannot understand, and we use religion to rationalize it. Then we pick a bible verse that fit our needs to justify our actions, then ignore the ones we don’t agree with.
What’s really lacking though, are the parts of the Bible that talks about love and compassion, which were mentioned more so than “if a man lies with a man as one does with a woman, it is unclean”…
- Filipino-Christian Hypocrisy: Manny Pacquiao - February 18, 2016
- Homophobia In The Modern World - February 18, 2016
- “Amerikana”: Not A White Man’s Clothing - November 2, 2015
- The Struggle of the Moro People - January 30, 2015
- Emilio Aguinaldo: The Opportunist? - June 16, 2014
- ASWANG in Portland! - March 10, 2014
- Marcos and The Debt He Left Behind - February 25, 2014
- Are You Upset About Corruption? - February 13, 2014
- How Vhong Navarro Will Help Other Victims of Violence - January 29, 2014
- “Let America Take Over The Government of the Phils!!” - November 20, 2013