- President Duterte called Vice President Leni Robredo ‘incompetent’
- He said Robredo can never be ready to lead a country like the Philippines
- Earlier, Robredo declared she’s willing to lead the opposition against the Duterte government
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte did not mince words in criticizing Vice President Leni Robredo who recently declared she’s ready to lead the opposition against the incumbent government.
In an interview with reporters in Clark, Pampanga on Tuesday, Duterte said he will not step down from his post to give way to Robredo.
“Look, I will not resign because it will make her president. My resignation is addressed to the people para makapili sila ng gusto nila [so they can choose who they want],” said Duterte.
The President was reacting to Robredo’s statement saying she’s open to take on the role as opposition leader amid calls from several groups.
Earlier, the Vice President said there are groups with a common stand who have been voicing out their sentiments against the present government but their voice seems to have fallen on deaf ears because they lack someone who would lead them.
“At iyon iyong role na gusto kong i-take—na siguraduhin na iyong mga boses na nagkakaisa ay lalong mapag-isa para lalong mapakinggan, siguraduhin na iyong mensaheng gustong ipaabot mas maintindihan, at hikayatin iyong iba din iyong paniniwala na makiisa,” Robredo was quoted as saying in a press briefing on Monday.
[An that’s the role I want to take – to make sure that these voices are united and heard, to ensure that the message are clear and understood and to encourage others to join us as well.]
But Duterte doubted Robredo’s capability to lead the Filipino people.
“I don’t think she can ever be ready to govern a country. Reason? Incompetence. She’s not capable of running a country like this, Philippines,” the President said.
The President added he will not allow someone to replace him through ‘succession’ should there be a need for a transitory government, but would prefer a leader elected by the people.
- Payo ni Dok sa mga taong hirap sa paghinga, agad magpa-check up - March 13, 2019
- Artist who created ‘Momo’ says he has destroyed the doll - March 7, 2019
- Second HIV patient cleared of AIDS-causing virus – Reports - March 7, 2019
- Tatlo pang pinaghihinalaang nangunguha ng mga bata, iniimbestigahan - March 5, 2019
- Arestadong kidnapping suspect umaming mahigit 20 bata ang nadukot nila simula Oktubre 2018 - February 25, 2019
- Buong pamilyang Pinoy nasawi sa malagim na car accident sa California - February 25, 2019
- Karamihan sa mga Pinoy naniniwalang bumaba ang bilang ng mga drug users – SWS survey - February 20, 2019
- Lalaking walang braso gumawa ng prosthetic robotic arm gamit ang mga Lego bricks - February 13, 2019
- Pope Francis, inamin ang sekswal na pang-aabuso ng mga pari at obispo sa mga madre - February 13, 2019
- “I have put everything in God’s hands”: Miss Universe 1993 Dayanara Torres shares her skin cancer journey - February 7, 2019