- President Duterte called Vice President Leni Robredo ‘incompetent’
- He said Robredo can never be ready to lead a country like the Philippines
- Earlier, Robredo declared she’s willing to lead the opposition against the Duterte government
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte did not mince words in criticizing Vice President Leni Robredo who recently declared she’s ready to lead the opposition against the incumbent government.
In an interview with reporters in Clark, Pampanga on Tuesday, Duterte said he will not step down from his post to give way to Robredo.
“Look, I will not resign because it will make her president. My resignation is addressed to the people para makapili sila ng gusto nila [so they can choose who they want],” said Duterte.
The President was reacting to Robredo’s statement saying she’s open to take on the role as opposition leader amid calls from several groups.
Earlier, the Vice President said there are groups with a common stand who have been voicing out their sentiments against the present government but their voice seems to have fallen on deaf ears because they lack someone who would lead them.
“At iyon iyong role na gusto kong i-take—na siguraduhin na iyong mga boses na nagkakaisa ay lalong mapag-isa para lalong mapakinggan, siguraduhin na iyong mensaheng gustong ipaabot mas maintindihan, at hikayatin iyong iba din iyong paniniwala na makiisa,” Robredo was quoted as saying in a press briefing on Monday.
[An that’s the role I want to take – to make sure that these voices are united and heard, to ensure that the message are clear and understood and to encourage others to join us as well.]
But Duterte doubted Robredo’s capability to lead the Filipino people.
“I don’t think she can ever be ready to govern a country. Reason? Incompetence. She’s not capable of running a country like this, Philippines,” the President said.
The President added he will not allow someone to replace him through ‘succession’ should there be a need for a transitory government, but would prefer a leader elected by the people.
- NGCP honors MAGELCO for best practices - October 15, 2018
- Top Electrical Safety Tips for The Whole Family - October 15, 2018
- KC Concepcion gifts her childhood nanny a brand new house - October 8, 2018
- RAWR Awards will be happening again in November - September 19, 2018
- Palparan sentenced with ‘reclusion perpetua’ over disappearance of 2 UP students - September 17, 2018
- Solaric Leads Solar Panel Installation in the Philippines - September 14, 2018
- Court defers ruling on Trillanes’ arrest warrant - September 13, 2018
- PAGASA: ‘Ompong’ may become supertyphoon before making landfall; threatens Northern Luzon - September 13, 2018
- Maguindanao towns get more power from electrification - September 10, 2018
- Makati court sets hearing on Trillanes’ arrest warrant on September 13 - September 6, 2018