- A beggar’s body was found in an abandoned car in Lebanon with more than $3,000 in cash
- She also had a savings account with more than $1-million in a bank
- People said she never talked nor begged but simply looked at passersby with “eyes full of sorrow”
When Lebanese authorities found the body of Fatima Othman inside an abandoned car early this week, they thought it was just a simple case of a homeless person expiring from natural causes.
After all, the 52-year-old woman was known to be a beggar plying the streets of Barbir district; hoping that passersby will spare her coins and small bills.
To their shock, however, police found the bag she had been carrying with more than 5 million Lebanese pounds or roughly $3,400 inside.
Even more surprising, Arab News reported, is that a passbook was also found near her body with an astonishing amount of money in deposit. The elderly beggar turned out to be keeping a savings account with more than a million dollar fund – $1,120,965.38 or 1.7-billion Lebanese pounds to be exact.
Othman’s case became viral on social media in Lebanon; with many netizens now doubting whether the homeless people on the streets they usually took pity on are actually poor.
As in her case, Othman turned out to be wealthier than most people in the neighborhood.
Othman was reportedly a well-known figure in the Barbir District. She was a handicapped who was unable to use her hands due to birth defect. People said she never talked nor begged, but “just looked with eyes full of sorrow at passing people.”
She had a mother and came from a family with two brothers and five sisters. Her body has since been returned to her family in the town of Ain Al-Zahab in Akkar, northern Lebanon where she was buried on Wednesday.
- 52-year-old OFW found lifeless in a hotel room in Saudi Arabia - August 20, 2018
- Bais City constructs lighthouse for Golden Charter Anniversary - August 20, 2018
- Frightened passengers take video of an alleged white lady along Old Zigzag road - August 20, 2018
- PGH PA condemns Ramon Tulfo ‘cyberbullying, shaming’ a medical staff - August 20, 2018
- Super Tekla reveals facing doubts regarding his sexuality before confirming he’s 100% guy - August 20, 2018
- Filipino math wizards win 24 medals in an international competition held in China - August 20, 2018
- Joma Sison claims PRRD in coma - August 20, 2018
- ‘Inday Will Always Love You’ gets season 2 due to success in ratings, social media - August 18, 2018
- National ID system law to take effect on Saturday, gets P2-B initial funding - August 18, 2018
- Owner, admin of private school in CamSur in hot water over burning of students’ bags out of anger - August 18, 2018