- A beggar’s body was found in an abandoned car in Lebanon with more than $3,000 in cash
- She also had a savings account with more than $1-million in a bank
- People said she never talked nor begged but simply looked at passersby with “eyes full of sorrow”
When Lebanese authorities found the body of Fatima Othman inside an abandoned car early this week, they thought it was just a simple case of a homeless person expiring from natural causes.
After all, the 52-year-old woman was known to be a beggar plying the streets of Barbir district; hoping that passersby will spare her coins and small bills.
To their shock, however, police found the bag she had been carrying with more than 5 million Lebanese pounds or roughly $3,400 inside.
Even more surprising, Arab News reported, is that a passbook was also found near her body with an astonishing amount of money in deposit. The elderly beggar turned out to be keeping a savings account with more than a million dollar fund – $1,120,965.38 or 1.7-billion Lebanese pounds to be exact.
Othman’s case became viral on social media in Lebanon; with many netizens now doubting whether the homeless people on the streets they usually took pity on are actually poor.
As in her case, Othman turned out to be wealthier than most people in the neighborhood.
Othman was reportedly a well-known figure in the Barbir District. She was a handicapped who was unable to use her hands due to birth defect. People said she never talked nor begged, but “just looked with eyes full of sorrow at passing people.”
She had a mother and came from a family with two brothers and five sisters. Her body has since been returned to her family in the town of Ain Al-Zahab in Akkar, northern Lebanon where she was buried on Wednesday.
- Duterte ‘weeps’ during valve opening of oil and gas production in Cebu - May 26, 2018
- Filipino contestant and partner win grand prize in Belgium’s Got Talent - May 26, 2018
- Internet star Jelai Andres gets big surprise from future mom-in-law - May 25, 2018
- Pinoy photographer Rommel Lugada wins bronze in Moscow Int’l Foto Awards - May 25, 2018
- BOC seizes cigarettes, other misdeclared goods worth P36.5M at MICP, Tondo - May 25, 2018
- “More than slimming down”, Bea shares her ‘moral reasons’ for being Pescatarian - May 25, 2018
- Jet Li speaks up after viral photo sparked rumors on his poor health - May 25, 2018
- Groom divorces bride within 15 minutes into marrying her - May 25, 2018
- Apple’s WWDC is set and the invites are out - May 25, 2018
- Anne visits memory lane as she talked about her fave childhood food - May 25, 2018