In 2009, Efren Peñaflorida won the Hero of the Year campaign undertaken by international news channel, CNN. With the prize money, he and his team of street educators recently tried to purchase from the Bank of Philippine Islands a piece of property in Novaliches, Quezon City. They planned to use the property as a base for Dynamic Teen Company (DTC) operations for northern Metro Manila. Recognizing the team’s noble intentions, BPI decided to award the property so that more out-of-school youth could benefit from the teaching programs introduced by Efren and his team.
During the turnover ceremony at the BPI head office, senior executive vice president and chief operating officer Gil Buenaventure said that the bank deemed it appropriate to donate the property as its own contribution to the social transformation program being undertaken by the DTC. For his part, BPI Family Bank president Alfonso Salcedo hoped that more Filipinos will emulate what Efren Peñaflorida and his friends have done.
DTC’s “pushcart classrooms” have helped countless poor people in the marginalized and poor areas of Cavite to teach young people basic lessons in mathematics, English, and science, using only a specially designed pushcart. Their education program has since earned worldwide recognition for recruiting teenagers as volunteer teachers to street children, thus redirecting the lives of out-of-school youth away from juvenile delinquency.
Editor’s Note: Definitely Filipino is a supporter of DTC, Efren Penaflorida and his advocacies. Let’s join Efren in helping Filipino children for a better tomorrow through better education.
- Health Alert: More on Leptospirosis - October 6, 2012
- Dr. MJ Torres: Her dual role and practice at the Zen Institute - August 15, 2012
- Spoof on Indie Filmmakers Wins at the 1st Sineng Pambansa - July 31, 2012
- Filipinos eat less vegetable - July 6, 2012
- Flu Season is Here! - July 5, 2012
- Education Matters: Are we ready for K to 12 program? - June 26, 2012
- How to Make Binagol - May 14, 2012
- Available Technologies for Better Public Health Care - November 15, 2011
- Helminths among us - November 10, 2011
- Bigger and Better Filipino Brands - November 2, 2011