- A facial recognition machine is being used at a public toilet on Xikang Road in Shanghai’s Jing’an District to cut down on the wastage of toilet paper
- It was first rolled out in China at the public restrooms of the Temple of Heaven in Beijing
The artificial intelligence is reaching the most unusual place in China — the public toilet.
A facial recognition toilet paper dispenser is installed and is being used at a public toilet on Xikang Road in Shanghai’s Jing’an District to cut down on the wastage of toilet paper.
This system is aimed at reducing waste and preventing toilet paper theft, which is actually a thing that happens. It was first rolled out in China at the public restrooms of the Temple of Heaven in Beijing after reports emerged that locals were visiting the bathrooms and making off with as much free toilet paper as they could carry.
“For most people, 80cm paper should be enough,” said Li Bei, an employee of Shoulian Science and Technology Co, the supplier of the machine.
“The face scan machine can save about 70 percent of toilet paper.”
However, if toilet users need more paper, they can request it from the cleaning staff, who do not charge for the extra bit of roll, but the facial scanning machine cannot be used again for nine minutes.
The machine was reportedly installed nearly two months ago at the entrance of the toilet. Initially, people missed it but more people are using it now.
“We are considering making some adjustments because the facial recognition area is 1.8 meters high, which is not convenient for children and even some seniors,” said Li.
- Payo ni Dok sa mga taong hirap sa paghinga, agad magpa-check up - March 13, 2019
- Artist who created ‘Momo’ says he has destroyed the doll - March 7, 2019
- Second HIV patient cleared of AIDS-causing virus – Reports - March 7, 2019
- Tatlo pang pinaghihinalaang nangunguha ng mga bata, iniimbestigahan - March 5, 2019
- Arestadong kidnapping suspect umaming mahigit 20 bata ang nadukot nila simula Oktubre 2018 - February 25, 2019
- Buong pamilyang Pinoy nasawi sa malagim na car accident sa California - February 25, 2019
- Karamihan sa mga Pinoy naniniwalang bumaba ang bilang ng mga drug users – SWS survey - February 20, 2019
- Lalaking walang braso gumawa ng prosthetic robotic arm gamit ang mga Lego bricks - February 13, 2019
- Pope Francis, inamin ang sekswal na pang-aabuso ng mga pari at obispo sa mga madre - February 13, 2019
- “I have put everything in God’s hands”: Miss Universe 1993 Dayanara Torres shares her skin cancer journey - February 7, 2019