- A facial recognition machine is being used at a public toilet on Xikang Road in Shanghai’s Jing’an District to cut down on the wastage of toilet paper
- It was first rolled out in China at the public restrooms of the Temple of Heaven in Beijing
The artificial intelligence is reaching the most unusual place in China — the public toilet.
A facial recognition toilet paper dispenser is installed and is being used at a public toilet on Xikang Road in Shanghai’s Jing’an District to cut down on the wastage of toilet paper.
This system is aimed at reducing waste and preventing toilet paper theft, which is actually a thing that happens. It was first rolled out in China at the public restrooms of the Temple of Heaven in Beijing after reports emerged that locals were visiting the bathrooms and making off with as much free toilet paper as they could carry.
“For most people, 80cm paper should be enough,” said Li Bei, an employee of Shoulian Science and Technology Co, the supplier of the machine.
“The face scan machine can save about 70 percent of toilet paper.”
However, if toilet users need more paper, they can request it from the cleaning staff, who do not charge for the extra bit of roll, but the facial scanning machine cannot be used again for nine minutes.
The machine was reportedly installed nearly two months ago at the entrance of the toilet. Initially, people missed it but more people are using it now.
“We are considering making some adjustments because the facial recognition area is 1.8 meters high, which is not convenient for children and even some seniors,” said Li.
- KC Concepcion gifts her childhood nanny a brand new house - November 5, 2018
- KathNiel’s ‘The Hows of Us’ sets record with P35M box-office opening gross - October 31, 2018
- Gilas turns attention to FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers after ASIAN Games - October 31, 2018
- Palace denies Duterte brought 400-man delegation to Israel - October 31, 2018
- No Senate run for PAO chief Persida Acosta in 2019 - October 31, 2018
- NFA OKs immediate importation of 133,5000 MT of rice for Zambasutla - October 31, 2018
- Philippines climbs 10th place in long-term trade sustainability study - October 31, 2018
- DOST pushes for the creation of a Philippine Space Agency - October 31, 2018
- PCOO reprimands Mocha Uson with memo over ‘pederalismo’ video - October 31, 2018
- Dingdong to run for public office in 2019, says Marian - October 31, 2018