Saw this on my friend’s Facebook wall. Made me ponder on something seemingly small but makes an impact. A lesson in life, no doubt.
There are seemingly ordinary scenarios outside of our comfort zone, and yet some would linger in our minds; leaving a relevant impact.
A shared post by Sir Teddy reminded me of a number of instances when we’re out on the streets and handing out blankets for some homeless kids and aged people. While some were very eager to receive a blanket each, there were those like the man in this story whom you have to convince – with a smile – to take it.
And just like Sir Teddy I would leave that place with a smile still lingering on my face plus a short prayer.
Here’s the post story:
A strange thing happened to me today.
He was reading a Bible as I approached. An English Bible, to boot. The kind they have in hotels. I tried to share with him part of the food I was bringing to the office but he initially refused. He pointed to several plastic containers of food in his small pile of possessions, pagpag leftovers from some dump but still food to him anyway. He insisted that he had all the food he needed. I persisted and put on my best smile if only to convince him I meant well. Only when I pointed to him that the small cup of siomai I was offering was hot and fresh did he graciously accept with profuse thanks.
Surprising how a man like him knew what is enough for him to live on. That anything else over what he needed is just that – an occasional treat.
Was smiling as I got back to my driver’s seat. Mumbled a short prayer for the man. Nice twist to a stormy morning.
- Feeling down? Pray with your heart - February 25, 2019
- “Uwian na, may nanalo na!” Reaksyon ng mga netizens sa Ultra Lotto winners, nakakaaliw - October 15, 2018
- Huwag tularan: Mag-inang nagtapon ng basura sa baha - October 8, 2018
- Eh kasi Tatay! (A Parenting Story) - September 29, 2018
- Naranasan n’yo rin bang makipanood ng TV sa kapitbahay? - September 28, 2018
- Thought-provoking story: Professor-student conversation on faith - September 28, 2018
- Ang Malas ng May Tatlong Kuya! Grrrrrrr!!!! - September 24, 2018
- Every Teacher’s Dream - September 22, 2018
- Tara na! Make an impact through the simple act of stuffing all your plastic waste in a bottle - September 21, 2018
- Love your parents more in their old age… it’s when they need it most - September 18, 2018