Being betrayed is one of the most hurtful feelings anyone can feel. That is why we have the cliche “Saksakin mo na nang harapan walang lang sa likuran”.
That is how I felt when my dear senator whom I pledged to support and campaign in the coming 2016 Philippine election suddenly took a 360 degree turn.
When Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago announced that she will run for President in the 2016 elections, I was jubilant. I felt there was hope now that a better qualified candidate has already fielded herself in the 2016 presidential race. I cannot contain my adulation of her because this is the moment I’ve been waiting for, to cast my vote for her.
I was elementary then when she first ran in 1992. Through Television and newspapers, I read and watched her speeches and achievements in government service and that is when I first admired her and her character. If only I can vote then, I’m sure will be voting for her, but then I can’t. On her second try I was just a fresh high school graduate and still not eligible to vote. So missed the opportunity again to be one of those millions who voted for her.
Now that I’m very much qualified to vote for her, I was high in excitement that finally on her third try I will have the chance to put her name as my president.
But just a couple of days after she revealed her plans for the 2016 election, Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago announced that her Vice Presidential running mate would be the son and name-sake of the late dictator, Sen.Ferdinand Bongbong Marcos Jr.
The moment news broke out about her running mate, was the same moment my heart was broken.
Why oh why Sen. Miriam, that in all your intelligence, integrity and character have you chosen Sen. Marcos? For all the principles you have stood before as the prime graft buster and defender of human rights, how come you were able to compromise to go side by side with Bongbong?
- The 33 hour test - July 11, 2016
- Our Journey That Starts with Two Red Lines - November 25, 2015
- The Pain of Betrayal. Why, Sen. Miriam? - October 20, 2015
- 6 Indications Grace Poe is Running for President - September 14, 2015
- 10 Most Significant Quotes from Ninoy Aquino - August 21, 2015
- Arabela, a delighful escape from the Metro - August 12, 2015
- Thank You, Rep. Leni Robredo - July 30, 2015
- Animus Revertendi - June 8, 2015
- Things you must do during Pahiyas Festival visit - May 20, 2015
- The Many Faces of Paolo Ballesteros - October 25, 2014