In 2009, I was in a program called the DENSO Youth for Earth Action. It is “an international program by DENSO CORPORATION and the Japan Environmental Education Forum with the aim of fostering youth who has high level of awareness about coexistence between humans and the environment, and will actively make efforts to create a sustainable society.” In other words, it will train you to become a planeteer. I wrote about my application experience and the program here.
Last year, I had the good fortune of returning to the program as a tutor, which is like a junior facilitator. It was such a different experience to be in the same program with a different role. I wrote about that here and here.
The application for this year’s batch has just begun (see details below). I do hope some of you reading this entry will apply. For me, this program was more than just a bunch of free trips abroad. It changed the direction of my life, because my love for nature evolved into a passion. It was also a great opportunity to meet so many inspiring young people and supportive mentors from all over Southeast Asia and Japan. DYEA introduced me to my “eco soulmates,” Pedro and Bell. We reunited in Thailand early this year for Bell’s “Saving Sharks, Saving Us” project. Bell is coming here in exactly 9 days, and I know Pedro will make his way to our 7, 107 islands soon too. Or I’ll go to the Lion City. Because we love each other like that.
I’ve been invited to participate in the local Philippine program as a junior facilitator, so I might meet some of you there. I’ve also been asked to recommend people.
See details below, lifted from the official site. For questions, you can leave a comment on my blog. I’d be happy to answer them. Good luck mga bords!
Meet people with the same aspiration and take your step towards creating a bright future
Qualification for Application:
1. Current enrollment at a university, graduate school and working people in an ASEAN country.
2. Men and women aged from 18 to 29 on closing date for application.
3. Ability to use English for daily conversation. (criterion: TOEIC score of 700 points or higher, TOEFL PBT score of 550 points or higher, TOEFL CBT score of 210 points or higher, TOEFL iBT score of 80 points or higher)
4. Healthy, physically fit individuals (outdoor activities are included in the program).
5. Participants must be able to participate in the 3~4 days Local Program from July to September 2011 in your country and the 6 days Global Program in Indonesia from October 16, 2011 to October 21, 2011.
Number of Participants:
Local Program: 10~20 people from each country
Global Program: 3 people from each country
April 25, 2011 (Monday) to June 12, 2011 (Sunday)
Instructions for Application:
Submit the designated application form and a brief essay to the DENSO YOUTH for EARTH Action office in your country.
Fees for the Local and Global Programs will be principally borne by the sponsor.
The complete program flow is here.
- “Wala ka sa Lola ko!” - April 6, 2013
- An Introduction to Writing About Arts and Culture - September 29, 2011
- Sexuality and Spirituality: Using art and contraceptives to teach sexual health - September 22, 2011
- maglakbay at mamangha sa sarili nating bansa - August 11, 2011
- TOMS is looking for dynamic young leaders! - August 5, 2011
- call for applications: Global Changemakers Youth Summit in the UK - July 15, 2011
- CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: Blog Action Day on June 8 to Save our Coral Reefs and Seas! - June 1, 2011
- DENSO Youth for Earth Action 2011 applications now open! - May 11, 2011
- Youth Manifesto to Address Planetary Malpractice - May 4, 2011
- running on sunshine: my personal guide to good vibes - May 3, 2011