I have spent my Christmas away from my family in Saudi Arabia and Singapore as an OFW for quite a number of years.
Usually, this is the time when I avoid looking at pictures of my family and friends. Looking at their facebook and instagram just makes me miss them more.
Ber months na, OFW kumusta ka?
Homesickness normally strikes during holidays, birthdays of loved ones and fiestas etc. These are the times when there’s so much fun in the Philippines. We OFWs feel so much pain spending Christmas away from family. We just don’t normally tell people.
I remember about 6 years ago, I was on my way to Manila from Dammam in Saudi Arabia,I was talking to the guy seated beside me.
An OFW working in Saudi Arabia for 8 straight years without returning to Philippines for vacation. When the Pilot mentioned something like “We are near Manila Airport and about to land” I heard my him shriek.
I also heard someone utter loudly “sa wakas malalanghap ko na rin ang hangin ng Pinas”
The estimated travel time from Dammam to Manila is about 8-9hours. And for someone who has not seen his family for years, the 8-9 hour journey is just so long.
Maybe you are wondering about my post for today. What message do I want to highlight?
I know the hardships of an OFW.
I worked both in Saudi Arabia and in Singapore. I know how hard it is to be away from our families.
That’s why we OFW’S are the modern day heroes.
Our remittances help the Philippine economy big time, but we need to help ourselves first. We cannot work abroad forever.
We cannot bring back the lost time with our loved ones. We need to manage our finances well.
We need to SAVE and INVEST so we can reach our dreams and goals faster.
If you want to know more about OFW’s and want to learn about Investing, Subscribe to my blog Super OFW Investor and feel free to share and comment below.
- Be Careful Who You Listen To - September 14, 2017
- Manny Pacquiao mocked by Vice Ganda - February 19, 2016
- Here’s Why I decided to help OFWs after working in Saudi and SG - February 11, 2016
- Critical Wallet Day at #PetsaDePeligro - January 19, 2016
- Why Debt is good? #UtangPaMore - December 12, 2015
- Letter to an OFW Mom by Shawi Cortez - November 5, 2015
- 100 days before Christmas! OFW, kumusta ka? - September 16, 2015
- Will you lend your friend money, if…? - September 9, 2015
- I Always Play The Risk Taker, But Why? - July 8, 2015
- ‘Di bale nang mahirap, masaya naman! - March 31, 2015