According to Peter Drucker, “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things. Manager and leader are two completely different roles, although we often use the terms interchangeably. There are different types of leaders. Some of which are :
- PACESETTING LEADER – “Do as I do now”
(expects and models excellence and self-direction)
- AUTHORITATIVE LEADER – “Come with me”
(mobilizes the team toward a common vision and focuses on end goals, leaving the means up to each individual)
- AFFILIATIVE LEADER – “People comes first”
(works to create emotional bonds that bring a feeling of bonding and belonging to the organization)
- COACHING LEADER – “Try this”
(develops people for the future)
- COERCIVE LEADER – “Do what I tell you”
(demands immediate compliance)
- DEMOCRATIC LEADER – “What do you think?”
(builds consensus through participation)
Below is the distinction between leaders and managers :
|Leaders do the right things
|Managers do the things right
|Anyone from the team who has particular talent
|Facilitators of team member’s success
|Creatively thinking out of the box||Ensure that people have everything they need to be productive and successful
|Has experience on some aspect of the business or project that can be of use to the manager or team||Well-trained. Being groomed for the next level
|Leaders lead based on strength and not on titles
|Happy and has minimal road blocks in their paths|
|Has a great idea.||Recognized for their great performance. Coached thru their challenges
Whether you are a leader or a manager, one must be guided by the following tenets :
BEATITUDE OF A LEADER
BLESSED IS THE LEADER WHO HAS NOT SOUGHT THE HIGH PLACES, BUT WHO HAS BEEN DRAFTED INTO SERVICE BECAUSE OF HIS ABILITY AND WILLINGNESS TO SERVE.
BLESSED IS THE LEADER WHO KNOWS WHERE HE IS GOING, AND HOW TO GET THERE.
BLESSED IS THE LEADER WHO KNOWS HOW TO LEAD WITHOUT BEING DICTATORIAL; TRUE LEADERS ARE HUMBLE
BLESSED IS THE LEADER WHO KNOWS NO DISCOURAGEMENT, WHO PRESENTS NO ALIBI.
BLESSED IS THE LEADER WHO SEEKS THE BEST FOR THOSE HE SERVES.
BLESSED IS THE LEADER WHO LEADS FOR THE GOOD OF THE MOST CONCERNED, AND NOT FOR THE PERSONAL GRATIFICATION OF HIS OWN IDEAS.
BLESSED IS THE LEADER WHO DEVELOPS LEADERS WHILE LEADING.
BLESSED IS THE LEADER WHO MARCHES WITH THE GROUP, INTERPRETS CORRECTLY THE SIGNS ON THE PATHWAY THAT LEADS TO SUCCESS.
BLESSED IS THE LEADER WHO HAS HIS HEADS IN THE CLOUDS BUT HIS FEET ON THE GROUND.
BLESSED IS THE LEADER WHO CONSIDERS LEADERSHIP AN OPPORTUNITY FOR SERVICE.
Let’s all serve with humility yet with dignity to our fellowmen for the betterment of our country and for the greater glory of God!
- BLESSINGS in DISGUISE - December 15, 2016
- Ito ang mga pinaniniwalaan ko… at ipinaglalaban! - December 2, 2016
- H A P P I N E S S i s…. - November 28, 2016
- The Extra Knock - November 27, 2016
- Nineteen Eighty Sick (1986) na naman ba? Kinikilabutan ako! - November 10, 2016
- Beatitudes of a Leader - October 28, 2016
- I Believe You, No IFS, No BUTS… - October 24, 2016
- Whose son is Spencer? - October 16, 2016
- Are we on the same boat? - October 16, 2016
- BRUNO - January 24, 2016