In every romantic drama or movie that I have watched, you can easily specify three major parts in the story.
- The Eventful Meet Up – the romantically set event that starts the cogwheels of romance for the lovers.
- The Inevitable Separation – the nerve-wrecking separation that either leads to the lovers’ self realizations or permanent separation.
- The Fated Comeback – the summation of all the events and the event wherein all problems are solved and usually ends with a kiss.
Rare are those that do not conform to this style. It’s a bit clichéd, but sometimes it works, and when it works, expect some feel-good feeling in it. For example:
The Eventful Meet Up
- Boy: Where have you been all my life?
- Girl: Hiding from the world. Waiting for someone brave enough to look beyond the nook and crannies.
- Boy: Well, I found you.
- Girl: Yes, you found me.
The Inevitable Separation
- Girl: It’s not you, it’s me.
- Boy: But…
- Girl: I take it back, it is you. It’s every bit of you. It’s always been about you. YOU! YOU! YOU!
- Boy: Is that how you’ve felt all these time?
- Girl: For all the times that you’ve been there for me, thank you. But to be honest, I really hate you now. If we push this through, it’d only hurt the both of us more.
- *The girl starts to walk out*
- Boy: Wait… *holds her hands* Don’t go.
- Girl: Someday, somehow, I’ll finally be able to tell you that I’m okay. I don’t want you to blame yourself for this. Goodbye…
The Fated Comeback
- *The ex-lovers happened to be at the same place at the same time*
- Boy: Hey!
- Girl: Hi! It’s been a while…
- Boy: It has hasn’t it. How are you doing?
- Girl: I’ve been pretty busy with work.
- Boy: I’m happy for you. Seems to me you’re doing really well. It was nice talking to you again. Goodbye…
- Girl: Wait!
- Boy: Yes?
- Girl: I’ve been missing you so much…
- Boy: As do I…
If only it were applicable in life. Usually it ends with the second part and the third part is most usually disregarded. But I guess that’s what makes reality better. It’s the beauty of not knowing what will happen that makes it exciting. There are things that we can’t control, and when one story with a person finishes, another story begins with a different person again starting with that eventful meet up and hopefully it goes through to the third part.