Advisory on UK Job Offers via Student Visa Route
Press Release/ Advisory/ Immediate Release
8 November 2011
Advisory on Job Offers via Student Visa Route
Filipinos seeking employment in the United Kingdom are advised to be more cautious in view of the rampant cases of mis-information and deceit. Generally, they should be wary of attractive jobs offered by employers or their agents specifically those initially issuing them a student visa with a promise to successfully convert such into a work visa.
The Philippine Nurses Association of United Kingdom urges all Filipino jobseekers to be more discerning as current UK legislation prohibits in-country changes of visa. Furthermore,
- Application for UK visa is done in the country of origin, i.e., at the British Embassy in Manila, and not in the UK. Visas are issued based on the points criteria for qualifications, prospective earnings, maintenance funds and English language proficiency. Since the visas are applied at, and issued by the British Embassy in Manila, applicants should not give credence to the scanned copies of visas purportedly applied in their behalf by their employer’s agents, including immigration consultants, solicitors or travel agents;
- The new UK Points-Based Immigration System has done away with the requirement of the old ‘work permit’ which is now replaced by the ‘certificate of sponsorship’. To be able to issue a certificate of sponsorship in favor of a candidate or applicant, the prospective UK employer should be duly licensed as a sponsor by the UK Border Agency (UKBA). Filipino jobseekers should verify the status of their prospective employers in the list of sponsors which can be found at the UKBA website: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk. The payment for the certificate of sponsorship is also shouldered by the UK employer;
- The Overseas Nursing Program (ONP) is currently at a standstill and the Association is not aware of any institution successfully offering the program as a route to getting a UK License to practice nursing in the UK;
- Individuals with a UK student entry visa are only allowed to work 10-hours per week during term time if you are on a course below NQF 6/QCF 6/SCQF 9 at a UK higher education institution;
- There will also be tighter regulations on allowing the dependents of students to join them in the UK – and less flexibility in the number of years that overseas students can spend in the UK after courses are finished;
The association would also like to emphasize that completion of the ONP does not automatically guarantee a UK Nursing License as this completely depends on the decision of the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC); nor does completion of the nursing program guarantee a UK Visa as this depends on a lot of decisive factors from the UK Border and Immigration Agency.
The association would also like to remind all jobseekers to deal only with licensed immigration consultants and/or solicitors. It is suggested that all transactions be made at the offices of licensed immigration consultants and/or solicitors and, when necessary, ask them to produce their license to practice as immigration consultants and/or solicitors before making any payment. Refrain from transacting business in clinics, cafes, telephones or mobile phones, e-mail, and other venues where it is not possible to ascertain the legitimate status of the immigration consultancy practice being offered.
For further clarifications or inquiry, please contact the Philippine Nurses Association of the UK, at email [email protected]. Visit the website at www.pnauk.org.uk for more information. Specific information can be found at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/studying/adult-students/
For Immediate Dissemination
Philipine Nurses Association of United Kingdom (PNA UK)
©Copyright 2011, Filipino | Definitely Filipino™. All rights reserved. Copying of any article from this Definitely Filipino blog without permission, is strictly prohibited. DISCLAIMER: All articles are opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily of the site owner and Definitely Filipino.