Brian “Hawaiian Punch” Viloria is the new WBO Flyweight Champion
Brian “Hawaiian Punch” Viloria was announced the new WBO Flyweight Champion when he went toe to toe with Mexico’s Julio ” Pingo” Cesar Miranda. From start to finish, these two fighters fought their heart out. Round 1 already set the audience in excitement when Viloria had knocked down Miranda with Miranda quickly getting up.
Viloria had some awesome combos that clearly started to take effect to Miranda’s body in RD 7. At the start of Rd 9 both fighters were cautious and Viloria regained initiative midway through and hung in to win the round. The last 2 RDS were intense with Miranda fighting desperately and Viloria looking exhausted. He dropped down on his knees with arms raised when it came to the final bell. The announcer announced the scores of 98-91, 96-93 and 97-93 for Viloria which was odd because it was a twelve round fight.
Viloria has been known to be a fast fighter but getting tired at the end. He clearly hung in there the last round and defeated Miranda. Miranda struggled to make 112 pounds, taking a couple hours to shed two pounds at the weigh-in Friday in Waikiki. He said the long flight and having to cut weight affected him. “It was a tough fight. Very difficult,” Miranda said. When asked if he was surprised by the judges scorecards, Miranda said, “I would love a rematch.”
I would love to see a rematch between these two but what I would really love to see is Brian Viloria defend his title against Mexico’s Giovanni Segura ! That would be an exciting fight for boxing fans. Segura stated with Ryan Burton from boxingscene.com “That was a good fight. Brian did what he had to do to get the win. Brian should celebrate his victory now but he needs to remember that he has to fight me next. Brian trains in our gym and I kick his ass all the time.” Assuming this does happen I am no expert but Brian would have to work on his stamina.
photos by greg honda
- Villanueva Boxing Gym is Home to the Ilonggo Youth - February 10, 2013
- An Emotional Mother’s Cry For Justice: 24 year old Fili-Am Alvin Bulaoro Found Dead in Sleeping Bag in Albertson’s Parking Lot in San Diego,Ca - January 5, 2013
- Jinkee Pacquiao and Erika Marquez pushing for their husbands’ retirements - December 27, 2012
- Miss Universe fans world wide shocked : Miss Philippines ” Janine Tugonon” places 1st runner up - December 19, 2012
- Viloria Wipes Out “Tyson” Marquez to become Unified Flyweight Champ - November 18, 2012
- ‘Idol’ Alum Jessica Sanchez Sings in San Diego - November 18, 2012
- Brian Viloria and Hernan “Tyson”Marquez make weight - November 17, 2012
- Viloria plans on testing Marquez with his Hawaiian Punch - November 8, 2012
- Exclusive Training Photos: Congressman Manny Pacquiao training hard for December 8 - November 7, 2012
- Erik Spoelstra makes history as the 1st Filipino-American in the NBA to win a Championship - June 21, 2012